Tuesday, December 14, 2010

It's Been Awhile!

It's been awhile since I've updated this blog of mine! I'm a terrible blogger, I'm sure. *sad* Anyway, I'm back and trying to keep this up more regularly.

A lot of new things have happened jewelry wise since I last posted. If you haven't done so already, please take a look at the new and improved Fables Boutique. I have put a lot of work into redoing my website. I now change my website every season. I have 4 lines per year now, one for each season, each lasting for 3 months. Winter is currently underway and will last through the end of February. Each Line has Collections you can browse through. Once the season is over, the collections probably won't be there to purchase from again, so get them while you can! In my Winter Line, I have some amazing collections for you to take a look at!

Oh ok, you want a peek before you head over there. Alright, here you go:
From the Desert Winter Collection, here is the Tales of Turquoise Bracelet and the Christmas in Tucson Necklace:

These are a couple of the more dramatic pieces I have in my Line, but there are also some subtler collections such as Merlot and Candlelight and Woodland Winter, of which I have posted two pictures below:



I have tried fairly hard to keep my prices as low as possible. As much as it would be amazing and boost my ego to sell a 300 dollar necklace, it defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do in several ways.
1. I don't know anyone, including myself, that can or would spend 300 dollars on a necklace, handmade or not.
2. I have never set out to be a jewelry designer that people ooh and aah over and wish they could afford. Wishes do me no good, ladies, I'm a business woman not a painting! ;) So trying to be as affordable as possible widens the possibility that interested customers can afford my work, meaning more customers, meaning more friends, meaning my business actually succeeds! There's a lot of pressure in the handmade marketplace on price. There's the group that says the sky's the limit people will pay for artisan work. Then there's the group that says well you need to be affordable but if your prices are TOO low people will think you didn't work that hard. (I encourage group B to go out and make some of these items themselves. My view is that if you're purchasing artisan work it's because you can't or don't want to go do it yourself, so they probably have a good appreciation for what it is they're purchasing!). I believe that group A wants to become Tiffany's overnight, and group B doesn't give shoppers enough credit. Then there's group C that is desperate for sales so greatly that they undersell themselves and everyone else. But since they are desperate, I'm moving them to group D. I have created group C. I think group C are the individuals that are looking for good quality, affordable prices, and down to earth sellers they can relate to that don't have the "I'm made of millions and just came home from the ballet" dripping off of their websites and packaging. This is the group that I aim to please! So I hope my prices have done so.
I'm rambling again.
3. I think when you try to be affordable, people appreciate it! Now don't get me wrong, if I start selling London Blue Topaz wire wrapped in gold fill wire accented with Emeralds, don't expect it to be cheap! But when I know I paid a certain amount for materials, if I can offer it to you at $20 and make what I need to make off of it, you're not going to see it at $40. Period. I'm a shopper, too, and a strong believer in the idea that someone should be able to buy something that looks like a million bucks, secretly know they didn't spend that much on it, and feel great when they present it to someone for Christmas or a birthday and watch their jaw drop thinking that you, their new best friend, spent loads on them for said event. Why not!

Artisan work is something that we need to inject back into the economy. But I think many people feel that artisan work is overly expensive so they don't bother looking for it. Or, when they do see something that is artisan work, and it has a good price, they think maybe it really isn't artisan work, or maybe that seller is undercutting themselves.

I hope that some day artisans are more valued in our society, like they were at one point in our history.

In the meantime, support an artisan you know! If you know someone that makes soap, get your Christmas gifts from them this season instead of going to Bath & Body Works. (It's ok, I cheated this year, too).

Don't get me wrong I love shopping at other stores, too, but I hope there is a new effort put into supporting handmade and local artisans. =)

Anyway, enough rambling for me. I'm going to attempt to pick a topic next time and actually stick to it but...if you know me, you know I'll probably get off topic at least once. =)

If you do connect with me and what I say, though, that's great, and I'm glad you stick around to read this!

Happy Holidays to my fellow Happily Unemployed Women!

No comments:

Post a Comment