Monday, September 20, 2010

Why Do You Own A Scale?

Topic of the day today is scales. I'm curious, why do women own scales?
Now I say this because I, too, am totally guilty of having the scale. Bowing to the scale god, you know, whatever it is you want to call the ridiculous obsession with depressing myself every morning.

Weight is a number. I know you know this, and I know it, too, but seriously think about it.

You have this weight in your head of what would be perfect. Oh to be 120.

Let me ask you something. If you're 190 pounds right now (that's me lol) and you want to be 120....if you got up tomorrow and the scale said 120 but you still looked like 190 would you be happy? Probably not.

Now, if you woke up and the scale said 300 pounds but you were wearing size 2 jeans, would you care?
No.

Now obviously it won't work like that, but I'm just saying.....what we're REALLY striving for when we're losing weight isn't a number on a scale. It's an image in the mirror. And it's those jeans we want to slip on. Or that dress we want to wear.

So why the hell are you so obsessed with the scale when it doesn't do you any good? I mean yes it's important to keep your weight in a healthy level and all that. But really, the best indicator of weight loss and where you want to be is what you can wear and what you see when you look in the mirror.

So please take this challenge with me. If you're trying to lose weight, a little or a lot, like me, then take this challenge. Repeat after me:
"I will not weigh myself for 30 days. I will continue eating healthy and following my decided program, but I will not weigh. I will set aside a pair of jeans or a dress that I could reasonably fit into within a month. I will try those jeans on as much as I want, but I will NOT touch my scale"

Ok. Good. I think you'll see the paranoia and freaking out over weight is something that is really not going to help you any in the long run. All the time we spend weighing we could probably be doing something that might actually get us to that next jeans size. Or...here's a concept...LIVING.

You're all beautiful so put that scale away for a month. =)

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a scale for this exact reason and it is working for me! I'm with ya on the challenge! I can tell in my clothes and in pictures I've lost a lot of weight, but I have no idea how. I will weigh in 30 more days!

    ReplyDelete